It was another beautiful day! My hay collection trip fell through and I figured with a free day, it was time to dig up the carrots and process them.
It was only two rows of carrots, but they produced real well, enough for 17 big feeds! They are now residing in the freezer.
The topping and tailing was not so bad, nor was the blanching. The irksome part was peeling those gawsh darn carrots. There must be a better way than using a potato peeler on them. It did a great job, but talk about time consuming! That is a bushel basket, by the way.
Anyway, they are all processed, and my short term memory loss will take care of that issue by next year. As long as I don't plant 4 rows.
The balance of the day was lining up a big truck and trailer to go and get the winter hay supply. My supplier for the last 5 years, decided that they didn't have enough to sell this year. I found that out Friday after talking with her since July. It looks like they waited too long and the hay went brown and moldy, which is a big no-no for horses.
A few phone calls rounded up an alternate supplier about 40 km away. More work and more travel, but by the looks of it, better hay. I will be hooking up a borrowed Ram 3500 and 18 foot trailer and hauling for the next few days. The trailer looks big enough to get 150 bales on ( I hope) then I will only have to make 2 trips. The tough part will be getting it into the hay shelter since it will have to be double handled. It might be worth while to relocate the hay shelter for next year. Nope, bad thought!
The weather looks like it will hold for the next 10 days.