Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

July 16, 2020

Success!

Well, in spite of lots of attempts by the Magpies to get into the nest box, the Tree Swallows, with a little help by me, managed to drive them off. The results so far are two fledglings sitting on the fence. In the past, they flew the coop without us getting a look at them. This time I got a whole lot of pictures before they left. Its amazing how they instinctively know how to fly! Note the fly by above the Magpie!


They were very unafraid, but I still kept my distance.
 
There was a whole bunch of wing stretching that they probably couldn't do in the nest.

Lots and lots of stretching!

This is the other little fluff ball. I suspect he is a male due to his bluer head.

The female is the cuter one, if I have to judge.
But then again, he is pretty good looking.



The best part is, the parents are still bring bugs into the nest. That means there are likely one or two more to come. Their dedication, and protective efforts are amazing. Hopefully they will be back again next year. They are very nice to watch while sitting on the deck having a coffee.

3 comments:

  1. Great to see this blog again. Hope all that effort helps! BTW, I am back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That darned magpie! Happy that the swallow family fledged, so nice to see!

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.