Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

July 12, 2019

Question for All You Horticulturalists Out There

About 5 years ago, we planted 4 Oriental Poppies. Each year they have produced  magnificent flowers, more and more each year. This year we have had 24 blooms, all nice and orange, as they should be.


 The flowers are stunning!
 However, this year we have had one white poppy, now gone and today out pops this pink one. The originals were all single root plants, producing orange flowers.
How did the white and pink variations sneak in?
Now, I am not complaining, just curious. There are no other poppies in this end of Whitecourt, and no others that I have seen any where in Town.

I guess I will have to go and contemplate  my navel until someone comes up with an answer.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to have a pink and white one. Lets hope they multiply and you have more next year.
    My Oriental Poppies caused some confusion this year also. I've had Orange ones for many years. Last year I bought a pink and red one. They were not in flower when I bought them and did not flower last year. But the tags on the pots indicated white and red Oriental poppies.
    I was anxious to see them flower this year. However, much to my disapointment, they all blossomed Orange and they were not planted close to each other to mix colours. I am thinking it could be the soil here or the tags were not correct. I'll have to wait until next year to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thelma. Apparently they do switch back and forth according to a site on Google. I am not sure of the mechanism.

      Delete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.