Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

November 3, 2015

Around the Feeder


As the snow starts to come, there are more and more birds taking advantage of the free meals.

 At last count there are 6 Blue Jays coming in about 3 times a day.

 They are cute but rather aggressive towards the other birds. Everybody does manage to sort things out over time.

 Their table manners leave much to be desired. Grab and gulp!

 For some reason, there are still lots of ornamental crabs on the trees. Normally they would all be eaten by now.

 I am not sure what this guy is. At first, I thought it was a House Finch, then a Common Red Poll, but the colours don't quite add up. Hopefully he will be back and I can get a better photo.

 The House Sparrow is a regular visitor and generally arrives by the dozen (s). as you can see, we have been visited by snow. Fortunately, most has melted, but we are getting closer to permanent cover.

 The Bohemian Waxwings are bunching up ready to migrate. I saw flocks of up to 200 going by this morning.

 They are very excited and skittish  , getting ready for the migration. There were about 20 by the feeder, but I couldn't get a shot.


As you can see, this is not a very good shot of a coyote. The light and distance were not good, however, I know where he is hanging out.


3 comments:

  1. I think the waxwings are so lovely. We have coyotes as well. Such a nuisance and a danger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots, Ian! Not sure what that bird is, let us know if you find out!

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.