Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

November 4, 2014

The House Sparrow

The sparrows have found the bird feeder so I imagine that shortly I will be over run with them. As they are so common, I never really looked closely at them before. I was amazed at the detail which you don't normally see.

 For some reason, there are about 20 that are in love with the bird houses. They are trying to get in but the hole size is for tree swallows and these are just too round to get in.
 Is this desire to "nest" at this time a sign of a super cold winter or? I do not plan to enlarge the holes since the Tree swallows are much more desirable.
 Nope, no matter how hard you try, you are too circumferentially challenged to fit in!
 The stink eye will not work either. No bigger hole!
The Bohemian Wax Wings are still hanging around, but don't appear to be interested in the feeder, yet.
I knew that the House Sparrow was introduced to North America, but did not realize it was in the 1850's  in Brooklyn, and reached Alberta in 1898. (Birds of Alberta..Chris Fisher, John Acorn)

5 comments:

  1. Great post! And I love the Waxwings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very cute little birds, but they fill up my purple martin boxes to the brim, and I have to constantly run them off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like those Waxwings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice shots of the sparrows and waxwings!

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.