Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

April 30, 2013

It's Still a'comin

I haven't been posting for the last few days for several reasons. 1. I got hit with the Man Flu. 2.It's been miserable outside, with temps going down to -8C and highs of +2C. However, there are some improvements outside. A couple of really good days into the double digits, removed a lot of snow!

The paddock is getting close to being usable. 


The lower pasture is getting clear.
 The horses although being confined at the moment are reaching over and nibbling at a little bit of green along the fence line. Their motto appears to be "If it looks like it might be greenish, eat it!"
 The garden and orchard, on the other hand, likely will be a while longer before it clears up.
Tomorrow, Wednesday, the temps go back up to double digits, and hopefully, the snow will be totally gone by the weekend. It will still be 6 weeks before anything can be planted ( if we are lucky).

We here in Alberta have to consider ourselves lucky in that the big dump (15 cm) of snow that hit parts of eastern Alberta and Saskatchewan, missed us!

11 comments:

  1. sorry you've been sick! hope that melting keeps going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and happy birthday today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flu sucks, I hope you're better soon. Dang at all that snow! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon. Also, I have a question. I live in the deep south USA out in the burbs. Some people have pasture land and they have a few horses. Every time it gets cold, they puts blankets (horse coats) on their horses. Are your horses just more used to the cold and ours not so much. Just wondering why they would go to all that trouble if they didn't need to. Obviously I know nothing about horses except I love to look at them. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how far north are you? That still looks miserable. I guess southwest Virginia isn't as bad as I make out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you were sick...hopefully along with feeling better, comes real spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you start feeling better! And those horses are the toughest looking horses I've ever seen! They look like, "DON'T MESS WITH ME."

    Of course, everything looks beautiful, but once the brown gives way to greenery, it will be magnificent looking!

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're feeling better - and that all that snow melts. Your horses seem to hope so, too. Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that flu is nasty. I hope you're well over it soon!
    You have so much snow left! Our temps have been chilly, too, but have started to warm up.
    Do you put your horses inside every night, Ian, or do they come and go as they please? We're debating what to build for them - right now they just have part of the sheep barn to go into at will, but they don't always use it, even in the cold, rainy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! :( Not the MAN FLU! I hope you are feeling better. Love the pictures, hope it warms up real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness me! What snow. Your horses are lovely, by the way. I love bays and blacks!

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.