Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:

1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move

February 6, 2013

Crisp and Clear!

It was another nice day at -2C (+29F) and a great day for another ride. I figured on about an hour, but ended up at 2 1/2. It was Alpine's turn and she was more than willing to go. We didn't ride the whole time, but ended up at a neighbour's where I was shown 2 carts for single or tandem driving. No pictures as they were still in the shed. She has a couple of matched Walker horses that are trained.
 Alpine also stood her ground when three large dogs rushed her, barking and being aggressive. Good horse! I don't bounce as well as I used to!
We chatted horses for quite a while as Alpine adapted to 5 strange (to her) horses. The roads were pretty icy so no trotting, just walking to avoid any slips or falls. Needless to say, she got a half gallon of sweet feed as a reward when we got back. OK, OK, the other two also got sweet feed, but Alpine didn't seem to mind.

It was a quiet trip with only my two dogs plus one of the neighbour's along for the ride.

Spring! I can almost taste it, but I know we will get some very cold weather yet.

Ride when you can, and keep the horse between you and the ground!

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

perfect shot of gorgeous alpine and ever-watchful boots in the background. :)

Michelle said...

A sweet photo of Alpine.

Alica said...

Oh Ian, I really like this picture! Glad you could enjoy a ride...sounds like you're having a "heat wave"! :)

Terry said...

Good girl, Alpine!

Gail said...

Beautiful shot and love the dog in the background.

Willow said...

You go Ian , good for you and Alpine (who is a beauty by the way ) getting on down the road in below freezing weather ... what a trooper !
I admit cold weather doesn't stop me either my old Paso Find is sure footed on pretty much anything... I even like driving the shetland in the cart on crisp days , as long roads aren't icy .
Just heard a blizzard coming to New England tomorrow expecting 2 feet ...nice for some bareback riding play time in the fresh snow around the farm yard ha ha

luckybunny said...

That is a really awesome picture! Sounds like a great ride and I can taste spring too - it's coming! :)

S. Etole said...

Still snowing here!

Bev said...

Glad the weather is warming up there...glad I'm not there right now...we are about 26C here...but a cold front is coming...we will have to endure 18C for a couple days....
Beautiful horse...

Mary Ann said...

Keep the horse between you and the ground... what great advice!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Lovely photo! What a gorgeous horse.

PS - Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting! I hope tapping your trees goes well :)