Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

November 6, 2012

Meat in the Freezer

He's not the biggest I've got, but still dressed out at around 150 pounds. It was a clear warm day and I wanted to make the most of it. I was hunting by 9:30 am and bagged this one at 11:30.

The deer aren't quite in the rut yet, but I had some fun anyway. I moved and sat and rattled for the better part of the two hours. There was another buck that was quite annoyed with my rattling. I saw his tail, and outline, but not his head. There was so much brush in the way, I wouldn't have taken a shot anyway.

Just when I was thinking that i had gone far enough away from the truck, I spotted this guy sneaking across a cut line. After the shot, I kind of asked myself "Why so far from the truck and why so much uphill?"

It took from about 12:00 noon until 2:20 to drag him out. The uphill was a killer on the back, but I got him out OK. I was home by 3:00 and the dude was packaged and in the freezer by 7:00 pm.

This tired hunter is off to bed pretty soon. I was thinking that I am getting too old for dragging deer, but banished that thought. Old thoughts should not be thunk!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! Always reassuring this time of year. I wish we'd come home from Alaska with a huge freezer full of moose or caribou... but maybe next year. You'll sleep well tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice deer.I'm geared more for the skins lol.he has a niceee one .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. Georgia has such a large deer population, they were actively recruiting hunters and tried getting women to enter the sport. I respect responsible hunting. And I love venison. It's always a shame to see dead deer on the side of the road from hitting a car. It's an all too common site around my area. I counted three by the roadside just yesterday. So... good for you on your freezer full of wonderful lean meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and one more thing: my husband turns pens out of antlers! He gave one home made pen to our friend who has been hunting in Massachusetts and northward for years, and has never bagged a deer yet.

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.