Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

May 17, 2012

Happy Greenhouse Day!

 After a day of cleaning up from last years mess crop, it was ready to start the planting. A wheelbarrow full of composted horse manure (3 years in the works) mixed one to one with Triple Mix and it was ready to start. Elaine picked up the plants a couple of days ago and I had a pack of Stevia seeds from way back that I want to try. Man, are those seeds expensive! $4 gets you 11 seeds! If they grow as advertised, one of the plants will be coming in the house in the fall.



















Obviously, we got our stock from the best nursery in Alberta, McLeod Valley Greenhouses! To grow a tomato plant this size would mean starting about March and using a tremendous amount of heating dollars. There are other things we can start and have produce.


















It does feel good to be playing in the dirt again! I need to bank this thought, as next on the list is hand digging all the garden beds.

This morning we woke up to a frost heavy enough to put an ice skim on the horse trough! Fortunately, the greenhouse kept enough heat in to prevent any damage. It was +1C (34F) inside.

5 comments:

  1. just amazing to think you're still getting frosts up there! we're getting into high 80s now and the a/c is a daily thing. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing for the greenhouse. Where did you get the Stevia seeds?
    It does a person good to play in the dirt now doesn't it.
    Here in Arizona we have been in the 100's so far. Not a fan of the heat but will manage like every year.
    Hugs, Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is strange to think of frost. Glad to see you have the greenhouse! We are watching our garden plants grow steadily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent most of today playing in the dirt...after the rain earlier this week, the weeds were growing in high gear. I was on my way to an appt this afternoon, when I realized I still had dirt under my fingernails! Oops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad there was no damage with the frost. I hope it's only warmer from here on out for you and yours. What healthy plants and best wishes with the stevia seeds.

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.