Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

June 7, 2010

Cold and Wet Monday

Look at me! I am a turkey and I have just grown my wing feathers at just 4 days old! They aren't much now but just wait to you see them when i am 20 weeks old and 40 pounds! There is something wrong though. I can flap and flap but I still can't get over the cardboard barricade.

Besides that, life is good! 3 or more square meals a day. Lots to drink and 62 buddies to play with.
Posted by Picasa
Here we are, the portable, automatic lawn mowers at work. Much better grass this year and the dandelions are GREAT!

Is that grass better on the other side of the road? Must check it out!


Oh yeah! Dandelions are so GOOD!


Back off!  I am the alpha mare, and this is MY spot!

I won't warn you again!
Ah it's great sitting beside the garage watching work being done instead of doing it! Now, if someone would fetch me a coffee....

Posted by Picasa


8 comments:

  1. Ian, - Please tell me that you aren't planning to keep all 60 plus turkeys as pets for your grandchildren. Don't you think you are getting a little to attached to those cute little turkeys that will probably end up on someone's dinner table in a few months. That's going to be a sad day for you and your grandchildren.

    Well, I think I'll go have a nice bowl of turkey soup and a hot turkey sandwich for lunch. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on down brother, I got some hot coffee on here in Longview. We can sit together and hope someone else does all the work.

    Thanksgiving going to be awfully tasting around those parts I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll be trottin' over for thanksgiving dinner this year if you keep on yonder turkies... :)
    Your horses are beauties

    shalom
    gp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy times for the critters!

    Now I must ask, why are the horses wearing their halters and lead ropes? Are they a bit naughty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi fellow Blogger. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. It gives me an opportunity to read and look at your blog which I love. All those chicks! Baby turkeys! Horses! You are my kind of guy! You asked about Scratches on horses. My mare gets this condition all the time. It's a kind of dermatitis that shows up on her skin, right in the pastern area (in the back). Sometimes higher. Like rain rot, it seems like people can't decide if it bacterial or fungal. And this makes it hard to treat! It happens a lot with my horse because she loves to stand in water. If I keep her very dry, the Scratches go away. They almost look like poison ivy, or giant mosquito bites. Then they turn into big scabs. Not life threatening of course, but certainly they can't be comfortable for the horse. If you know of any good remedies, be sure to drop me a line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia:
    Well, the area along our driveway is not fenced , so they have learned that a trailing lead rope can be stepped on, and this keeps them at a very slow pace. If they step on it, it gives them a restriction. Then then take step back, get off the rope, toss their head so the rope goes ahead and resume munching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh HOW precious and cute and adorable.... !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ian, life seems to be pretty good at your neck of the woods. Love it.
    D.

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.