Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

May 13, 2019

Big Health Improvement!

Here are the steps that I have taken to improve my health significantly!

Conditions before:

My weight was at 210 pounds, about 30 pounds over where I should be. I was tired, fatigued would be more like it, sleeping 9 hours at night and napping one to 2 hours during the day. My muscles ached constantly. My feet and legs cramped almost at will. I had to force myself to walk any where. My wrists hurt constantly and I was wondering if it was arthritis or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It was difficult to get 3500 steps per day on dog walks. All in all I would say life was almost at a survival level.

Conditions after three months:

I have dropped 20 pounds of my 30 pound goal. All my aches, pains and cramps are gone and I am back walking my goal of 10,000 steps per day and I am enjoying it! I am back to sleeping 8 hours a night with a few naps during the week. The wrist pains are gone. The fatigue is  normal, but with cause like after walking more than 10,000 steps per day. I am still 75 years old and have not regenerated.

How did I do this?

First of all, I cut my food intake back significantly. I don't believe in dieting as I found in the past the weight that went comes back over time. Instead, I went on a routine schedule. For breakfast, I have two pieces of raisin bread with butter and an apple. I like raisin bread! For lunch I will have something light like an ice cream bar and a banana. If I get hungry in between, I will have another apple. Suppers are normal, but at half portion size. Once the stomach shrunk, I stopped being hungry.

I Googled my symptoms and started looking for vitamin deficiencies. I found pretty quick that as a person gets older, the body muscles do not tale up magnesium as they should. Magnesium is required for health muscle mass. There is apparently no easy test for mag deficiency (according to my Doc). I started taking magnesium citrate at 250 milligrams. Within 2 days my aches and pains were totally gone! After a week when my walking steps increased, I found the aches were starting to come back. I upped the mag to twice a day and have stabilized at that. I dropped some other medications such as a pill used for acid reflux. It turns out I shouldn't have been on it because apparently anything over 8 days may harm the kidneys. When my stomach muscles stopped hurting due to the magnesium supplement, I haven't felt the need for it.

I still stay on Vitamin D3 and B12 du to or shortage off sunlight.

What Have I learned?

I have had ultrasound and  X-rays to try to determine the cause of my troubles with no results. I found I had to do my own root cause determination to find the cause. This procedure I used regularly as technical director in the pulp and paper industry, and it worked in my case . Doctors can miss the root cause. When I talked to my Doc on the effect, he did say that too much mag can cause the runs. So far I have avoided that side effect!

Where am I now?

My weight is coming off slowly and I see my goal of getting to 180 pounds being achieved by July.
I am back up to wearing my dog out with 10,000 steps per day. The fatigue, stomach pains and other muscle pains are gone and I feel much as I did 30 years ago! I do not have arthritis or carpal!

Life is back to being GOOD again!

Hope this helps. I am not a medical doctor and can only say what is working for me. Google can be a good source of information!




7 comments:

  1. Wow you are doing so good, way to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Ian! Interesting regarding the magnesium citrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some genuinely nice stuff on this site, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I genuinely appreciate your piece of work, Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello.This post was really motivating, particularly because I was browsing
    for thoughts on this matter last Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.