Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

December 11, 2012

Oh, Boy!

The Christmas favourite of Bing Crosby's called "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" is no longer a favourite of mine.

For the first 11 days of December we have had snow when it was -26C and all the way up to zero today. I have plowed the road umpteen times, used the snow blower to move the stuff when there was no more room to plow it and have spent about 2 hours per day shoveling  plowing and blowing. Enough already! Us (retired) farmers need the moisture, but not this much.

shovelling-colorOur neighbour showed up the other night with a very large John Deere articulated loader and pushed back the snow banks on the side of our 400 foot driveway in order to make room for more. This was much appreciated! It's great to live in the country where every body looks after each other.

If you get stuck, someone will pull you out. If you get snowed in, someone will dig you out. If a horse gets free, someone will bring him home. Fortunately, I have taken more horses home than have been returned to me.

If the sun ever comes out, I will take a few random pictures around the place just to make all you folks without snow, a little envious. If I could, I would send you lots! :-}

Only 100 days 'till Spring!!!



9 comments:

  1. sounds like you've already been slammed! we had a good hard freeze this morning (down to 22F) and some parts of dallas saw snow flurries yesterday, but we didn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, you've had a rough start to December. The nasty weather has been quite late arriving here. December was mild until the last couple of days. We were -6 last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind if you sent me just a bit! I hope it slows down soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not ready for the really cold weather yet...but I must say, 60+ degrees in December is a bit warm! A little snow would be kind of nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brrrr your temps!!! Keep them but send us some SNOW!!!!

    Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're in Texas, like TxWisGirl said, we're having a cold spell, FINALLY. But, in my part of Texas, Southeast, we also had mid-80-degree weather last week. Crazy Texas weather. Other than living in Germany for a few years, I can't imagine living with snow on the level you see it and deal with it. I guess it's a forced hibernation as the snow piles and piles on top of itself. Be safe! I look forward to the pictures, as always!

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ian, yikes! Stop the snow talk already, I don't want the Maritimes to get any ideas!
    You're right about country neighbors - ours have been a blessing through good times and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm kind of glad that our snow came and left. Hope your weather improves a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love it more horses coming then going sounds good to me; well at your house. Enjoy the snow spring is coming. B

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.