Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

July 1, 2011

A Week Without......


Blogging!
I have been a bad blogger! I have been reading lots of blogs, but commenting seldom and posting not.

This is the contraption that they fitted me with. It looks like 4 to 6 weeks will be the time confined with the following caveat: If X-Rays on the 8th show the bones to be misaligned, then they will likely pin the thumb which means another 4 to 6 weeks. Note that the doc met my request and I can still hold the reins.

 What I have here is a BIG quarter horse that we boarded two days. He is 16 + Hands high and around 1400 pounds. I got by the first day, but on the second, I just had to try him out. My western saddle ( designed for a quarter horse) just barely went on him. The back cinch was on the first notch. I had to use the show bridle that came with the horse, as mine would not fit.
 I only rode him for about 20 minutes. You could just feel the power in those hind quarters! He was very well behaved. I had fun, in spite of an unorthodox grip on the reins.
If I had a horse this size, I would need to invest in a bigger step ladder!

11 comments:

  1. oh lordy. so you go find the biggest horse you can locate to test your 'rein' hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must love your horses. I have a granddaughter that has two...and they are her best friends. She is a natural with horses...and is going to become a Vet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope that bionic contraptions sorts your thumb out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please take it easy. That contraption on your hand looks like a royal pain in the patootie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking horse! Glad the hand contraption lets you still hold the reins. I miss riding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a big one!! I prefer the shorter ones, closer to the ground so I don't have as far to fall!

    Be careful with that hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He does look like a big lad! Good luck with your hand, glad they could fit it so you can still ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a knight's gauntlet.
    We just bought a 3 step mounting block.
    Terry at Moondance (can't sign in to blogger)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope your thumb improves and it doesn't need anymore intervention. A beauty of a horse, I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gentle giant! Too bad about your hand; will pray.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No boxing matches for you my friend. I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.