Life On and Off an Acreage

In-sights into moving from an Acreage back to Town, plus a few things I find of interest.

Two things that horses are scared about:


1. Things that move
2. Things that don't move




Old enough to be eccentric, but not rich enough

December 18, 2009

Why I Enjoy the Acreage

1.I am avoiding the “trap” that I have seen a lot of retired folk fall into. Work is everything in life, and when work stops, so does the ticker! Man is designed to work , both physically and mentally!

2.It gives me a chance to show the grandchildren where the eggs, chickens and vegetables come from. (Not from Safeway, IGA or Sobeys)

3.We can steward some of God’s creatures

4.It is peaceful, quiet and restful

5.There is always something to do or be done. No boring moments!

6.I can make REALLY BIG bonfires when burning a year’s worth of brush!

7.When I go out in the morning or whenever, there are generally three horses that “talk” to me

8.Where else can you keep a dog, horses, chickens, turkeys, and perhaps a cow?

9.Where else do you have deer, both whitetail and mule, moose, coyote, fox and elk all come visiting?

10.We get woodpeckers - downy, hoary, and pileated, plus sapsuckers, chickadees wrens, sparrows, grosbeaks -evening, pine and rose-breasted plus a whole bunch of birds that I haven’t learned the names of yet , at the feeder.

11.We also have cougars and bears in the area, but that’s ok as I don’t hunt them and they don’t hunt me!

12.Every day that I go out, I get to thank God for His blessings.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you don't want to trade places with The Old Geezers city life. I don't blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I shudder every time that I have to go to Edmonton. This generally happens once or twice a year. L.A is really scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted the country life,but what really made us take that first step is because we wanted it for our son.To teach him the joys of simple goodness and hard work.It is working because he is a great country kid!

    ReplyDelete

I hope that you enjoy the visit, and please feel free to comment. I appreciate all comments unless they are derogatory, racist or in bad taste.